14 oz flour
1.4 oz sugar
1.75 butter or fat
1/2 pt milk
1.05 oz yeast
fat or butter to spread
confectioner's sugar to sprinkle
Ferment yeast: In a cup, put the yeast with some lukewarm milk
(taken from the recipe amount), a pinch of sugar and a tablespoon
of flour; mix and place in a 122-deg F warm oven.
2. Put the remaining flour in a bowl and place it in the oven to warm
it up. Both the yeast mixture and the flour should be at the same
3. After about 10 minutes, remove from the oven.
4. Add lukewarm milk, softened butter and the rest of the ingredients
to the flour in the bowl. Don't forget to add the yeast mixture.
5. Prepare the dough: With a knead hook, mix in a mixer until
the dough separates from the bowl and produces bubbles. Then beat
again a couple of times with a cooking spoon - as it was done in the
old days when kneading involved really hard physical work.
6. Return dough to oven for 20 minutes, allowing it to rise.
7. Then spread it out with a rolling pin on a flour-covered surface
to a thickness of about 1/3 of an inch . Cut into squares and fill
each with jam in the center. Fold the edges to the center, brush some
melted butter on the edges, and place ina buttered cake pan. Allow
Buchteln to rise.
8. Bake at 392-deg F for 35-40 minutes. Flip the cake pan over so
the pastries separate. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.